Year 1 and 2 Summer hockey rules
Guidance around rules for year 1 and 2:
- Remember these are young players who will have little knowledge of the rules and are there to participate and have fun
- Only penalise if you think an infringement has in impact on the game
e.g. a player kicks the ball half way down the field
e.g. a player hits the ball with the back of their stick into the goal
- If you make a decision be clear so that everyone around knows what decision you have made
Rules for year 1 and 2 summer hockey
1. Players are not allowed to intentionally kick the ball – penalised with a free push
2. Players may not chop and other players sticks to get the ball – penalised with a free push
3. Players may not lift the ball in any way that makes it dangerous – penalised with a free push
4. Players may not intentionally push the ball over the baseline – penalised with a free push taken back 5m from the baseline
5. There will be no penalty strokes at year 1 and 2 level.
6. If the ball hits a defenders body on route to the goal play is restarted with a free push to be taken 5m from the baseline
7. If the ball crosses the baseline, and is not intentional, play is restarted with a 16 yard push to be taken 5m from the baseline in front of the goal
8. Goals cannot be scored directly from a free push.
9. A goal is scored when the ball crosses completely over the base line or hits the backboard
10. Shots higher than the backboard will not be counted
a. The exception to this is a ball deflected up into the goal by a defender
11. If the ball crosses one of the side barriers a free push is awarded to the opposing team to the one that last touched the ball before going out.
12. Games will start and end on the hooter with two halves separated by a short half time
13. One adult from each team is permitted on the field in a guidance role only
14. They must not influence or intimidate the umpire in any way
a. If there are any issues please see the organisers in the pavilion